POST Online Media Lite Edition



 

Fukushima operator faces $5 billion U.S. suit over 2011 disaster

Staff Writer |
Tokyo Electric Power Co Holdings said it faces another U.S. lawsuit over the 2011 Fukushima nuclear disaster, with the latest one demanding at least $5 billion in compensation.

Article continues below






A total of 157 US residents who were supporting Fukushima victims at the time filed the class action suit in a California district court earlier this month against the utility known as Tepco and a U.S. company.

A massive tsunami triggered by a 9.0-magnitude earthquake smashed into Tepco's Fukushima Daiichi power plant on Japan's northeast coast on March 11, 2011.

The giant waves overwhelmed reactor cooling systems and sent three into meltdown, spewing radiation over a wide area in the world's most serious nuclear accident since Chernobyl in 1986.

The plaintiffs, who joined aid efforts along with U.S. troops shortly after the disaster, claim they were exposed to radiation because of the improper design, construction and maintenance of the plant.

They are seeking $5 billion to cover the cost of medical tests and treatment needed to recover from the disaster, Tepco said in a statement.


What to read next

EU regulators extend Hutchison, O2 deal review to April 18
Telefonica agrees £10.25 billion sale of O2 to Hutchison Whampoa
Regional airline to be created in Japan