POST Online Media Lite Edition



 

Argentina ends missing submarine rescue mission

Staff Writer |
The Argentine navy says it has abandoned attempts to rescue 44 crew members on board a submarine that disappeared two weeks ago.

Article continues below






"Despite the magnitude of the efforts made, it has not been possible to locate the submarine," navy spokesman Enrique Balbi said on Thursday.

The sub, the ARA San Juan, last made contact on Wednesday 15 November. Hopes of finding survivors faded after a suspected explosion was heard near its last-known location.

Capt Balbi said the search for the submarine had been "extended to more than double the number of days that determine the possibilities of rescuing the crew".

His comment refers to the estimated period that it is thought the crew could have survived in the submerged vessel.


What to read next

Seven missed calls detected from missing Argentine submarine
Two cargo ships collide off south China, 12 missing
Several countries helping Argentina in search of missing submarine San Juan