POST Online Media Lite Edition



 

Damaging report on Qatar's World Cup bid: A ten-year-old millionaire

Staff Writer |
FIFA released a report on alleged corruption in awarding the 2022 World Cup to Qatar after more leaks deepened the controversy surrounding the vote.




World football's governing body had previously declined to publish in full the 400-page report into awarding the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 edition to Qatar drawn up by U.S. independent investigator Michael Garcia.

But FIFA's hand was forced when German tabloid newspaper Bild said it had obtained the full report and released extracts on Monday, including revelations that a ten-year-old daughter of one FIFA member had received $2 million in her bank account.

FIFA said it was already considering releasing in full Garcia's findings prior to the latest disclosures.

"However, as the document has been illegally leaked to a German newspaper, the new chairpersons (of the committee) have requested the immediate publication of the full report...in order to avoid the dissemination of any misleading information," FIFA explained in a statement on its website.

"For the sake of transparency, FIFA welcomes the news that this report has now been finally published."

Garcia had resigned as head of FIFA's investigatory body in December 2014 in protest after FIFA released a 40-page sanitized summary of his report which he disowned, describing it as "incomplete and erroneous."

The full report referred to an array of suspect financial dealings including the sum of $2 million allegedly sent by a consultant for Qatar, Sandro Rosell, to the ten-year-old daughter of a FIFA official.

The payment was described by an associate as the proceeds from a real estate deal.

But Garcia concluded that "no proof exists linking Qatar and this $2 million to the daughter of executive committee member (former Brazil football chief Ricardo Teixeira)."

Garcia's investigation also revealed that one former FIFA executive committee member thanked Qatar by mail for a transfer of several hundred thousand euros just after Qatar was awarded the 2022 tournament.

The report also documents that three executive members of FIFA were flown to Rio de Janeiro for a private party ahead of the vote to decide who would host the 2022 World Cup.

Qatar won the right to host the 2022 World Cup in late 2010 and the result of the vote has been the source of enormous controversy ever since.


What to read next

Qatar buys 24 typhoon fighter jets from UK
Qatar will be ready for 2022 World Cup despite blockade
Qatar using Iranian airspace to conduct most flights