POST Online Media Lite Edition



 

Italy declares 12-month state of emergency for Genoa after bridge collapses

Staff Writer |
The Italian Cabinet has approved a 12-month state of emergency for Genoa after a key highway bridge collapsed, killing at least 39 people.

Article continues below




Italian Premier Giuseppe Conte says his government won't wait until prosecutors finish investigating the deadly Genoa bridge collapse to yank the concession from the main private company that maintains Italy's highways.

Conte led an emergency Cabinet meeting Wednesday in Genoa, a day after the highway bridge collapsed. He called the tragedy "unacceptable in a modern society" and vowed to work so similar events won't happen again.

He said Italy will look for another company to maintain much of the nation's highway system and will demand "more stringent" rules about maintenance. Conte said: "we cannot wait for justice" and that "all citizens must travel in safety."

Conte also called for swift removal of the tons of debris that fell in Genoa to facilitate rail travel and reduce the danger of floods.

Earlier, Italy's infrastructure minister said that apartment buildings might have to be destroyed because of the highway bridge collapse.

About 630 people live in apartment buildings practically under or right next to part of the highway bridge that was left standing after Tuesday's collapse. By Wednesday, they all had been evacuated by authorities.


What to read next

101,300 persons from Morocco acquired citizenship in EU
Italy eyes block on migrant-rescue ships
Greece declares national mourning, flash floods death toll rises to 15