POST Online Media Lite Edition



 

Number of homes destroyed in Australian bushfires rises to 32

Staff Writer |
The official number of homes destroyed by bushfires in the Australian State of New South Wales (NSW) last week has risen to 32, the NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) said on Tuesday.


A further 21 homes were damaged and 119 outbuildings were scorched by three main blazes which tore across 74,000 hectares of bushland surrounding the towns of Tingha and Tabulam in the state's north.

"So far 32 homes destroyed, 21 homes damaged, 88 outbuildings destroyed, 31 outbuildings damaged," the RFS confirmed on social media.

"Teams will continue their work over coming days."

The fires continue to burn, although crews have now managed to bring them under control and have lowered their risk advice for residents.

In the wake of the devastation, more than 65 local and state government representatives have met to discuss the impact that climate change is expected to play in making bushfires longer and more intense.

"It's imperative that all levels of government commit to swift and meaningful action to drive down Australia's greenhouse gas emissions to reduce the climate impacts that put our community at risk of more frequent and intense bushfires," ecologist Lesley Hughes told the conference.

The meeting will discuss how climate change is worsening bushfire conditions and how local governments can be better prepared.


What to read next

Aussie koala population re-located after over-eating
Australian opposition reveals plan to raise bar for prospective teachers
Lava threatens to block Hawaii escape route