POST Online Media Lite Edition



 

Russia won’t participate in Eurovision 2017

Staff Writer |
The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) has officially confirmed to RT that Russia won’t be participating in the 2017 Eurovision song contest in Kiev after the country’s contender, Yulia Samoylova, was denied entry into Ukraine.

Article continues below






The Ukrainian Security Service banned wheelchair bound Samoylova from entering the country for three years over her performance in Crimea in 2015 which Kiev deemed illegal.

Earlier on Thursday, Russia’s Channel One announced that it won’t be broadcasting the 2017 Eurovision contest in the absence of the country’s competitor.

"Channel One considers the refusal by Ukraine absolutely groundless. It is an attempt by Ukraine to politicize the competition. In the current situation Channel One does not consider it possible to broadcast Eurovision 2017," the broadcaster said in a statement.

The EBU said in a statement emailed to RT, that it offered Russia two solutions to resolve the issue – “to either take part via satellite or to change their chosen artist to one who could legally travel to Ukraine for the duration of the Contest.”

“Sadly both proposals have been rejected by Channel One and they have now announced they do not intend to broadcast the Eurovision Song Contest 2017,” the statement by Eurovision organizers read.

“Unfortunately, this means Russia will no longer be able to take part in this year’s competition. We very much wanted all 43 countries to be able to participate and did all we could to achieve this,” the EBU added.


What to read next

Ukraine bars Russia entry from Eurovision Song Contest 2017
Russian personal, pay info leak cases rocket 80% in 2016
7.0 magnitude earthquake hits Russia region