POST Online Media Lite Edition



 

Indonesian eco-resort to be accessible only from Singapore

Staff writer |
The world's largest eco-park resort being built in Indonesian waters will be only accessible via ferry service from Singapore, developers of Funtasy Island said.




The 328-hectare development featuring dolphin lagoon villas, a theme park and beach club, is located 16km away from Singapore. There will be a 25-minute ferry service shuttling to HarbourFront, Funtasy Island Development (FID) said in a news conference.

Previously known as Pulau Manis, the cluster of six small islands north of Batam was acquired by Batam-based developer PT Batam Island Marina 20 years ago. Since 2010, FID has spent S$300 million on the development of the island.

The project is expected to have a soft launch by the end of the first quarter of 2016 and will now include a resort hotel developed in partnership with Louvre Hotels Group, FID announced.

FID said 70 per cent of the island's natural environment will be preserved. The remaining 30 per cent will be allocated to the construction of 400 villas and two hotels.

As for its advertising which highlighted dolphins at the doorstep, Mr Yong said the waters have proven to be a suitable habitat for the mammals, and that he expects a few schools of wild dolphins to be in the area.


What to read next

Dozen Indonesian nickel smelters cease operations due to falling prices
Singapore launches first LNG truck loading facility
Indonesia plans to sue Thailand's PTTEP over 2009 oil spill