Infected Danish meat reaches Sweden
Joakim Meuller Backman, an inspector with the National Food Agency, told the paper that meat products from the Danish company which is believed to have sold sausages contaminated with the bacteria was bought by a Swedish wholesaler as well as two or three restaurants in southern Sweden.
In Denmark, at least 12 people are believed to have died as a result of eating the sausages.
Mr. Backman said it is possible that the meat was served in restaurants but that the agency does not believe it was marketed in grocery stores.
The bacteria can be dangerous for people who have problems with their immune systems as well as pregnant women and the elderly. ■