POST Online Media Lite Edition



 

Tourists will enjoy: Isles of Scilly got super fast internet

Staff writer |
Minister for Communities and European Programmes, Lord (Tariq) Ahmad of Wimbledon welcomed the arrival of superfast broadband to the Isles of Scilly making the islands amongst some of the best connected islands in the world.

Article continues below






Isles of Scilly households, businesses and visitors now have access to broadband speeds up to 80 megabytes per second, 10 times faster than the previous maximum of up to 8 megabytes.

The new superfast broadband system will benefit not only the residents and businesses based in the Isles of Scilly but also tourists, who account for 85% of the Island's income, who want to stay online and connected when they're on holiday.

Superfast broadband has been brought to the area as part of the 132 million pounds Superfast Cornwall initiative between the government, BT and Cornwall council, which plans to make fibre broadband available to 95% of homes and premises on Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly by the end of 2014.

Speaking via video link from the launch event in Cornwall, Lord (Tariq) Ahmad said: "Bringing fibre optic broadband to the Isles of Scilly is another demonstration that Britain means business. No matter where in Britain you live and work, this government is committed to empowering you with the tools you need to connect and communicate in the 21st century."

The Superfast Cornwall programme will be completed in 2015. It will bring fibre optic broadband to 95% of homes and businesses in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, with the remaining 5% enjoying faster broadband speeds thanks to alternative technologies, such as satellite communications.

The Superfast Cornwall programme is one of a number of government funded programmes in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly to boost growth as part of the government's long-term economic plan.

Alongside the Superfast Cornwall funding, the Coastal Communities Fund, the Regional Growth Fund and Business Boost Programme contribute an additional 45.5 million pounds to help create more jobs and back enterprise in the region.


What to read next

Mobile usage was high during Super Bowl 50
Thailand to extend visa incentives to attract more tourists
Chinese tourists to Sri Lanka jump 137.2%