POST Online Media Lite Edition



 

UAE importing 21 thousand tonnes of fresh produce per day

Staff writer |
The Ministry of Economy of the UAE revealed that the country's fruit and vegetable imports during Ramadan amount to 21 thousand tonnes per day, which is 5 thousand tonnes more than the usual average.

Article continues below






The Director of the Consumer Protection Department in the Ministry, Hashim Al Nuaimi, explained that the volume of fruits and vegetables entering the state through Dubai ports has increased from 13 to 16 thousand tonnes per day, while shipments arriving via Abu Dhabi have grown from 3 to 5 thousand tonnes per day.

He pointed out that during a tour of the vegetable and fruit market in Abu Dhabi he ascertained that about 60% of the imports are consumed in the domestic market, while the other 40% is re-exported to countries in the Gulf area.

The stock of vegetables and fruits in the country is currently of about 125 thousand tonnes, 100 thousand tonnes in the Dubai market and 25 thousand tonnes in Abu Dhabi. Dubai is also working to build new stores to accommodate an additional 25 thousand tonnes.


What to read next

Nearly a third of Netherlands freelancers want more work
Domestic tourism in Turkey increased 16.3 percent
Harvested production of grain highest in history of Latvia