POST Online Media Lite Edition



 

Trump threatens to withdraw U.S. from WHO, permanently cut all funding

Christian Fernsby |
President Donald Trump on Monday threatened to permanently cut off U.S. funding to the World Health Organization and pull the U.S. out of the group.

Article continues below



Topics: TRUMP    U.S.    WHO   

In a letter to WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus that he posted on Twitter on Monday night, Trump said if WHO "does not commit to major substantive improvements within the next 30 days, I will make my temporary freeze of United States funding to the World Health Organization permanent and reconsider our membership in the organization." Trump has assailed WHO in recent weeks, accusing it of cooperating with China to cover up the extent of the coronavirus outbreak in its early stages.

"They were wrong so much, always on the side of China," Trump said earlier Monday.

WHO agreed earlier in the day to an independent investigation into its response to the pandemic.


What to read next

U.S. President Donald Trump says Congress must act to keep southern border open
Trump eyes quick trade deal with Japan in agriculture and autos
Trump: China tariffs to remain during Phase 2 talks