Seven Dutch poultry companies closed after toxic substance found
The authority also recalled eggs from four of the companies, the NVWA said.
How many eggs are involved and whether they were distributed to supermarkets or restaurants, are unclear.
NVWA spokesperson Lex Bender told the Gelderlander that there is no immediate danger to public health.
"If you eat an egg like those we found, you will not become sick. But the substance does not belong in eggs, therefore we recalled them."
Fipronil is harmful to both humans and animals.
In humans the substance can cause damage to the kidney, liver and thyroid gland. ■