American Packaging breaks ground on 350,000 square-foot plant
Staff Writer |
American Packaging Corporation has broken ground on a new 350,000 square-foot manufacturing plant in Monroe County, N.Y. that will lead to the creation of more than 260 full-time jobs over the next five years.
Article continues below
The project will also create more than 100 construction jobs and ensure 170 employees currently working at the company's Rochester plant are retained.
American Packaging had planned to construct their new plant near its facilities in Iowa, however, through Governor Andrew M. Cuomo's Upstate revitalization and the Finger Lakes Forward strategic plan, along with other local support efforts, the company decided to stay and expand in the Town of Chili. The facility is expected to be operational by December 2017.
In order to secure American Packaging’s expansion and job growth in Upstate New York, Empire State Development offered up to $14.7 million in performance-based incentives, including $7.7 million in Upstate Revitalization Initiative grants and $7 million in Excelsior Jobs Program tax credits.
Rochester Gas and Electric provided the company with up to $870,000 in grant funding for electric and gas infrastructure and Monroe County also provided tax exemption benefits through COMIDA.
American Packaging is investing nearly $170 million in this project.
American Packaging is a family-owned, flexible packaging converter and a renowned leader in the North American packaging industry.
Founded in 1902, APC serves a wide range of markets, specializing in flexographic and rotogravure printing; multi-ply extrusion and adhesive lamination of film, paper, and foil; and pouch and bag fabrication to meet a variety of requirements.
The company’s flexible packaging products offer exceptional environmental benefits as they use less energy and fewer resources.
The company has also partnered with the Rochester Institute of Technology by funding the Center for Packaging Innovation on campus.
Funding from the Wegmans Family Charitable Foundation was used to establish the Center. ■