Equinor plans to drill up to 3000 production wells in Norwegian continental shelf
Equinor is on track to maintain profitable production from the NCS at current level towards 2030. After 2030 the NCS will enter a more mature phase.
It is therefore necessary to introduce new measures to tackle the future challenges of declining production from the big fields, ageing installations and the need for reduced CO2 emissions.
Specific activities to renew the NCS include:
- Drill up to 3000 wells during the coming decades
- Extend the lifetime of more than 20 installations
- Drill 20-30 exploration wells annually and actively explore for gas
- Explore the possibilities of floating offshore wind and electrification as means to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Increase the pace of digitalisation and use of new technology
Strengthen and renew the competence in own workforce within traditional and new disciplines and conduct targeted recruitment to ensure new competence.
Over the coming decades Equinor plans to drill up to 3000 production and exploration wells. This is almost as many wells as the company has drilled since it was established close to 50 years ago.
The company’s plans for the next decades also call for a lifetime extension of more than 20 fields. The production lifetime of Equinor’s NCS fields is already two to three times longer than assumed in original plans. ■