POST Online Media Lite Edition



 

EU regulators extend Hutchison, O2 deal review to April 18

Staff writer |
EU antitrust regulators have pushed back the deadline for their decision on Hutchison Whampoa's 10.3-billion-pound ($15.5 billion) bid for British mobile operator O2 to April next year after the Hong Kong conglomerate asked for more time.

Article continues below






The European Commission said it would now decide by April 18 instead of March 16 whether to clear the deal which will create the top mobile operator in Britain through the combination of Hutchison's Three and Spanish operator Telefonica's O2.

"The parties have requested a 20-day extension for the in-depth investigation," Commission spokesman Ricardo Cardoso said.

The EU competition enforcer launched a full investigation into the deal last month, worried that it may lead to price hikes.


What to read next

CMA says 10.3bn-pound Hutchison-Telefonica deal will do long-term damage
Europe blocks $15 billion Hutchison-O2 deal
Hutchison to sell one-third stake in UK mobile business for $4.3 billion