Fincantieri works on first multipurpose offshore patrol ship
The PPA, first of seven units, will be delivered in 2021 and it is part of the renewal plan of the operational lines of the Italian Navy vessels, approved by the Government and Parliament and started in May 2015.
The project as a whole involves the construction of nine units, including seven PPAs, one multipurpose amphibious unit (LHD or Landing Helicopter Dock), and one logistic support unit (LSS or Logistic Support Ship).
RINA Services is also involved in the program. The experience gained in a number of past projects, as well as the close cooperation with the Italian Navy at international level for the development of the Naval Ship Code have allowed to fine-tune the ways of cooperating, overcoming the traditional concept of class and taking the specific technical and operational needs of the Navy into greater account.
- 132.5 meters long
- Speed more than 33 knots according to vessel configuration and operational conditions
- 171 persons of the crew
- Equipped with a combined diesel, a gas turbine plant (CODAG) and an electric propulsion system
- Capacity to supply drinking water to land
- Capacity to provide electricity to land with 2000 kw of power
- 2 modular zones at the stern and at the center of the ship that allow the embarking of various types of containerized. ■