Lidl US plans Maryland expansion, adding 400 new jobs by end of 2021
Topics: LIDL MARYLAND JOBS
The new stores announced this week are part of a planned $500 million U.S. expansion, with a total of 50 new stores along the East Coast. The company offers a leading wage and benefits package that includes healthcare insurance for all full- and part-time employees.
The new Maryland stores will be supported by Lidl’s recently opened $100 Million Regional Headquarters and Distribution Center in Principio Business Park in Cecil County, which added 200 new jobs to the state. To assist with the project, the Maryland Department of Commerce approved a $360,000 conditional loan.
The new Maryland stores are:
- Annapolis (Anne Arundel County) on Solomons Island Road
- Brooklyn Park (Anne Arundel County) on Ritchie Highway
- Columbia (Howard County) on Little Patuxent Parkway
- Glen Burnie (Anne Arundel County) on Ritchie Highway
- Frederick (Frederick County) on W. Patrick Street
- Montgomery Village (Montgomery County) on Montgomery Village Avenue
- Oxon Hill (Prince George’s County) on Livingston Road
- Takoma Park (Montgomery County) on New Hampshire Avenue
- Timonium (Baltimore County) on East Padonia Road
- Wheaton (Montgomery County) on Randolph Road
On Friday, the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reported that the State of Maryland added 53,900 jobs in July, and the unemployment rate decreased to 7.6%—more than 25% lower than the national unemployment rate. Maryland has gained 156,200 jobs during the ongoing recovery from the coronavirus pandemic. ■