POST Online Media Lite Edition



 

New Georgia economic development records set for jobs, investment in just 9 months

Christian Fernsby |
Governor Brian P. Kemp, in conjunction with the Georgia Department of Economic Development (GDEcD), announced that through the third quarter of fiscal year 2022 (July 1, 2021 - March 31, 2022), job creation and investments resulting from economic development projects have already surpassed fiscal year 2021 year-end totals.

Article continues below




These 251 project locations supported by GDEcD’s Global Commerce team will result in the creation of more than 35,400 new jobs and $12.9 billion in investment for the state.

“We continue to reap the benefits of our measured approach to reopening Georgia's economy, fighting for both lives and livelihoods during the pandemic," said Governor Kemp.

"These latest figures are another confirmation it was the right choice, and that Georgia continues to be the preferred place to do business. I'm grateful to all job creators who choose to locate or expand their operations in the Peach State, bringing opportunity to hardworking Georgians and investing in our communities across the entire state.

"We are excited to see such a variety of homegrown and global companies recognize the benefit of our strong partnership and pro-business approach, and I will continue to work hard every single day to strengthen Georgia's reputation as the best place to live, work, and raise a family."

These totals account for a 48% increase in jobs compared to three-quarters through the previous fiscal year and for a 6% increase in jobs compared to the prior year’s overall total. Additionally, there was a recorded increase of 54% in total investment compared to the same time period last year.

Delivering on a promise Governor Kemp made to Georgians to strengthen economic opportunity in rural Georgia, nearly 78% of both projects and investments were outside the 10-county metro Atlanta area, and over half of the jobs created were outside the 10-county metro Atlanta area.

Key industry sectors include automotive, advanced manufacturing, logistics and distribution, software and technology, and food processing.

Over the past year, Georgia’s electric vehicle (EV) and sustainability ecosystems have grown tremendously. Georgia is continuing to recruit the entire EV supply chain to ensure an effective, efficient, and affordable environment for EV production.


What to read next

More than 10,000 jobs created during Q1 in Georgia
Georgia jobless rate lowest since 1976
Georgia unemployment rate drops to unprecedented 2.6%