All 20 miners killed in coal mine blast in northern Afghanistan
"The tragic incident happened Tuesday afternoon and so far six bodies have been recovered and operations for the recovery of the remaining 10 have been continuing," Safiullah told Xinhua.
Without providing more details the official said that investigation is underway.
Meantime, locals said that more than 30 workers were present during the blast.
However, deputy provincial governor Sifatullah Samangani blamed illegal digging, lack of safety measures and necessary instruments to the workers for tragic incidents inside the coalmines.
Overlooking safety measures and illegal digging in the past years also claimed the lives of miners, the official said. ■