POST Online Media Lite Edition



 

Colombia arrests 10 over bombing, shooting of president's helicopter

Christian Fernsby |
Colombia arrested 10 people accused of involvement in attacks on a helicopter carrying President Ivan Duque and a military base last month that officials said on Thursday were planned by former FARC rebel leaders based in Venezuela.

Article continues below




The car bombing at the base in the northeastern city of Cucuta, home to the army's 30th brigade, wounded 44 people, including two U.S. military advisers. Later in June, a helicopter approaching city with Duque and other officials aboard was strafed by bullets.

The 10 people captured in Norte de Santander province are former FARC rebels who reject a 2016 peace deal, Attorney General Francisco Barbosa said in a press conference broadcast via social media, and belong to the dissidents' 33rd front.

Three took part in the planning and execution of both attacks and have been detained and charged, while another is a retired army captain, Barbosa said.

Orders to carry out the attacks came from former FARC leaders who are operating from Venezuela, Defense Minister Diego Molano said during the conference.


What to read next

Colombia to grant legal status to Venezuelan migrants
Colombian players who missed penalties against England receive death threats
U.S. authorities arrested nearly 150,000 illegal immigrants