POST Online Media Lite Edition



 

Advisory issued after cow on Indiana beef cattle farm dies of anthrax

Staff Writer |
The Indiana Board of Animal Health has issued an advisory after a cow on a southern Indiana beef cattle farm was infected with anthrax.

Article continues below






A veterinarian collected tissue samples for laboratory testing after the animal died unexpectedly. Only a single, mixed-breed bull died; other animals in the herd have not shown signs of infection.

The infected animal was incinerated on-site, and the farm was placed under a 30-day quarantine and observation order by the Indiana State Board of Animal Health (BOAH).

According to the BOAH, this situation does not pose a public health threat. Humans can contract anthrax from animals, but the risk is low. Only people who had direct contact with the infected animal are at risk of infection.

Signs of anthrax aree:

Bleeding from body openings. Blood will have contain a high level of bacteria and should be avoided.

The animal may stagger, have difficulty breathing, tremble, collapse and die.

Horses may have colic. Edema and swelling may be seen over the body, particularly at the brisket.

Illness may be observed for as many as five days; signs are preceded by fever, with a period of excitement in which the animal may charge anyone nearby.

The tongue, throat and neck may become extremely swollen and a frothy blood-tinged discharge comes from the mouth.

Skin infections may occur around the point of entry from an injury or insect bite.


What to read next

China officially allows U.S. beef to enter country
Taiwan to start breeding Angus cattle
First shipment of imported sea-borne beef cattle arrive in China